The modern club was established on 10 July 1956, although records suggest that another club had been playing in the early 1900s. The new club was initially based at the King George V playing fields in Lexden, more commonly known as Clairmont Road.
The club joined Division Two of the Colchester and East Essex League, and by 1960 had reached the Premier Division. In 1961 the club moved to Stanway Secondary School.
In 1973/74 the club won the Premier Division, and the following year, reached the final of the Essex Junior Cup, where they lost 1v0 to Takeley F.C. In 1975 the club joined Division One of the Essex and Suffolk Border Football League, and in 1978 were placed in the new Division Two. The 1978/79 season saw the club finish third and win promotion to Division One.
In 1979 the club agreed a 99-year lease with the local council for a 4.6-acre (19,000 m2) plot of land. On 18 November 1982 the new clubhouse was opened, and named "Hawthorns".
In 1990 and 1991 the club reached the final of the Essex Intermediate Cup, but lost both matches 3v1. In 1991/92 they finished second in the Premier Division of the Essex & Suffolk Border League, and were promoted to Division One of the Eastern Counties League. In 2005/06 the club finished top of the division, and were promoted to the Premier Division. The club won the League Cup in 2008/09 and again in 2011/12
Eastern Counties League
Division One champions 2005/06
League Cup winners 2008/09, 2011/12
Colchester & East Essex League
Premier Division champions 1973/74
Best FA Cup performance: Second qualifying round, 2008/09
Best FA Vase performance: Fifth round, 2007/08
Attendance: 210 vs Harwich & Parkeston, Eastern Counties League Division One, 2004